Davilla’s Rosenwald School Has a New Owner
Milam History by Joy Graham
Rockdale Reporter - May 23, 2013
Rosenwald School building in Davilla has a new owner. After several months of
researching deed records, and Milam Appraisal District records, the school was
confirmed to be located on Lot or Block 164 in Davilla.
The lot was owned by Central Texas Annual Methodist Conference in Fort Worth since
1888. At their annual conference they voted to sell the Davilla property to members of
Hill-Fontaine Shelby Association a non-profit association.
Rosenwald School was built in 1924-25, just north of the Methodist Episcopal Church of
Davilla. Northeast of the school is the Davilla Black Cemetery.
The confusion came about when the Milam County Historical Commission began searching
for the location of the school during its Certified Local Government Survey in 2005.
The deed found during the 2005 survey was a Nov. 11, 1913, deed filed by Milam County
lawyer E. A. Camp as the result of his search for a lost deed for a black school in the
Davilla area in 1913.
That deed was signed and filed in Milam County records in Volume 158, page 168 on the
5th of February 1921.
This deed lists a school located on Lots 16 and 17 that are located southeast of Block
164 where the Rosenwald School was built eight years later and still stands today.
Hill-Fontaine-Shelby Association is in its beginning stages of restoration. When
completed, it will serve as a Davilla community center.
Resdents in Davilla said the old A.M.E. church was sold to someone from Salado several
years ago and thought it was restored into a business building there.
If you’re a history buff,this is a good lead on learning more about history in the
Central Texas area.
Fisk University houses Rosenwald School records, as does Texas Historical Commission,
History Division in Austin.